"To bring the poem into the world / is to bring the world into the poem."

Thursday, January 26, 2012

HAL SIROWITZ

WHAT IS (PART OF) YOUR GREAT RECESSION EXPERIENCE?

The recession has affected me, making me think more about expenses. I’ve always had two lives – writer and school teacher – so I wouldn’t put any pressure on myself to make money through my writing. The royalties I made I saved for my retirement. Though, the one thing I’ve learned from the recession is that you can never save enough money for the future. I have to be careful not to go into my retirement savings.


***


HOW HAS YOUR GREAT RECESSION EXPERIENCE AFFECTED YOUR POETRY?

It doesn’t cost much to be creative. Ted Berrigan said if you’re a writer and the choice is between buying a book or a meal, always go for the book. I still try to live that way, having a library that rivals any local one in terms of poetry books.


***


PLEASE SHARE A POEM(S) ADDRESSING YOUR GREAT RECESSION EXPERIENCE:

Economic Blues


They say money makes
the world go round, father said,

but the world could revolve
by itself. It’s moved by its

repulsion and attraction to the sun -
like your mother liking me on one day,

disliking me the next - or something
like that. Don’t quote me. I could

never keep my eyes open in science class.
But in economics class I stayed wide awake.

Even if I didn’t have any money, it was
fun pretending to spend it. FDR was

my hero. He spent the government’s money
on public works. If you’re going to spend

someone else’s money, it’s better to do it
publicly. If you spend it on yourself,

you’re liable to go to jail.


***


ABOUT THE POET:

Hal Sirowitz's poetry is featured in an article in The Hollins Critic.



'

No comments: